Monday, August 24, 2009

What's in a name...



I am referencing how desserts, sandwiches, dishes etc are named. I never really thought about it much until yesterday. Brandon is participating in Razorfish's version of "Top Chef". He asked if he could include a sandwich that I have made in the past that is AMAZING! (It really is.) Marinated portabella mushrooms, black bean chickpea garlic spread, lettuce and a beefy tomato on toasted whole wheat bread. Part of the competition is to list the ingredients and while listing your ingredients of course you will need a name for such listed masterpiece. That leads me to now, not having a name for my most tasty sandwich.

  • Do I just list out the ingredients in the name?
  • How about coming up with a fancy name having nothing to do with the ingredients at all?

Outside this Razorfish competition, take menu items listed at your favorite restaurants. Is one more inclined to read "Mushroom, Black Bean Sandwich" and think that's nice, NEXT. Or stop to read "Jenny's spotted- rainbow unicorn sandwich", regardless if they choose such item they will surely read the ingredients. I know I would.

I'm on the fence with this one... but I think ordering "Jenny's spotted- rainbow unicorn sandwich" is a lot more fun to sa
y.

UPDATE: Sandwich has officially been named: Marvelous Meatless Medley

No comments: